Friday, July 5, 2019

Emotional Toolbox

I, Anna (for I do have a name, and a real entity), am rereading Elinor Greenberg’s book, “Borderline, Narcissistic and Schizoid Adaptations” and I have arrived at page 61, which suggests the idea of an emotional toolbox.
I have heard of this idea before - that of a helpful toolbox that is there for the person to make use of, to improve their experience of a moment.
I don’t know how much I have integrated and developed this concept, YET, for myself and those who interface with me. (Not much, I have to assume - as I don’t seem to be receiving the benefits from having turned to something useful that works.)
But: I can nevertheless output as is, or reformulate, what I take in from this book - and the useful works of others. To start with. I can grasp onto, derive meaning and value from, integrate and synthesize helpful ideas and approaches, which can help me travel from despair to greater competency.
So: right now, I will type out some perspective-enhancing comments that immediately resonate. Constructing a note card is suggested for the idea of a “real” object going into an actual, physical toolbox that a person can turn to for help - a note card with a helpful idea on it, to look at and hold.
I laughed heartily at the mentions of these two particular possibly helpful note cards: “You are taking this too seriously. This is not a cure for cancer.” and “Stop being so passive. You can complain or leave. This is not Auschwitz.”
d'Oh wow - ha ha ha ha ha! Some of my issues - well captured! I feel somewhat of a greater sense of perspective (mastery of scary situation?) already! Yay yay yay, and oyez oyez! :-) Coolio. I’m not in concentration camp, the outcome of the world is not hinging solely on my good output, and I am actually at least somewhat free to self-activate? What a freeing AND scary cognition, all in one. Heh. Let's see what comes next, in this helpful book that I am hoping can influence and guide some of my next phases of personal growth and recovery.

No comments: